As a professional driver you’ve no doubt renewed your driving licence countless times. Piece of pie, right? Every ten years, you must update your licence to continue driving with Ola and earning. As the licence is only valid from the day of approval, don’t wait to renew. This guide serves as a helpful overview to refresh your memory.
Please note, as of March 2020 applications may take longer than the usual three week wait period due to Covid-19.
Documents to have handy when you start
Begin the renewal process by collecting all of the necessary documentation, listed below, to make your application as smooth as possible.
- Valid UK passport
- A MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card to pay the £14 renewal fee. (there’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence)
- Your living addresses for the last three years
- Current driving licence (if you do not have your licence you must say why in your application)
- National Insurance number (if you know it)
How to renew your licence
We highly recommend applying online for ease and efficiency. However, you can also apply at a Post Office or by post. You cannot apply online or at a Post Office if your name has been legally changed, you must apply by post.
Begin the driving licence renewal process online. You will get a confirmation email from the DVLA to advise your application has been completed.
Uploading your licence in the app
To get you updated on Ola’s systems, we require your original, DVLA issued, picture driving licence (paper licences are not accepted). The upload must show both sides of your licence.
Open the driver app:
- Open the Ola driver app
- Enter My Profile > Personal Documents > Driver’s Licence
- Upload your document
And you’re done! If you need to speak to the DVLA for help, you can contact them by phone, webchat, email and post. View the DVLA’s contact details here.